Monday, January 31, 2011

Roasted Sweet Potato Coins with Caramelized Onions and Bacon

Last Friday, I was able to go home for lunch when a meeting ended and I didn't need to be back in the office.  Since I usually pack leftovers in some form for lunch, it's pretty exciting for me to actually get to cook myself lunch on a weekday.  I started daydreaming about what I could make as soon as I pulled out of the parking garage.



A few days earlier, I had seen a recipe on The Jey of Cooking for a fancied-up spin on potato skins.  The combination of sweet potatoes, bacon and sour cream, with orange juice and chives to provide some brightness, grabbed me right away.  Luckily, I had the ingredients, or at least items that could stand in, plus some caramelized onions, hanging out in the fridge.  Thank goodness, because these little sweet potato stacks were as tasty as I'd hoped!

Roasted Sweet Potato Coins with Caramelized Onions and Bacon

What's in them:

1 small sweet potato
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 clementine, juiced
2 slices of bacon, diced
1/4 cup caramelized onions
1/4 cup sour cream
1 scallion, sliced

How to make them:

Preheat oven to 350.  Cut sweet potatoes into thick rounds and toss with clementine juice and brown sugar.  Spread the potato slices in a glass baking dish, and bake until soft, about 45 minutes, flipping once halfway through.

Meanwhile, cook the bacon over medium low heat until crispy.  Set on paper towels to drain.

When potatoes have about 5 minutes left, top each slice with some of the caramelized onions and return to the oven.

When potatoes are done, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly.  Transfer to a plate, and top each with a dollop of sour cream, and sprinkle with bacon and scallions.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a tasty spin on potato skins! I'm adding this to my list of treats to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I LOVE the addition of the caramelized onions! So glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love sweet potatoes and these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete