Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Hot Crab Dip

When I first clicked on the link for my recipe in this week's swap, I was a little scared.  The title was Dip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, but I was seeing photos of a full-out low-country boil.  While I love the food, I was not prepared to plan and host a crab boil within the two weeks I had to make my recipe and share it here!  The crab dip that was actually my assignment was delicious, and what I also loved about it was how it reminded me how small the world can be.  Nicole's inspiration for this came from right in my back yard, when she was in Annapolis for her brother-in-law's introduction to the U.S. Naval Academy.  Living in the DC area and working for the Navy, this is certainly something I can connect with!


I made this mostly how Nicole did, adding the horseradish and Tabasco she omitted from the original recipe because we do love spicy here.  I also increased the Old Bay because nothing goes better with crab, and increased the Tabasco as well because nothing is ever really spicy enough.  And if you have leftovers, the dip makes an awesome omelet filling, with a few avocado slices on the side.

Hot Crab Dip
 
What's in it:

2 packages (8-oz) cream cheese, at room temp
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
4 whole green onions, sliced
2 Tbsp milk, half & half or cream
2 Tbsp horseradish
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
10 dashes Tabasco
16 oz crabmeat
1/4 c grated parmesan cheese

How to make it:

Combine all ingredients except crab and parmesan cheese.  Add crab and gently stir until just combined.

Spread into a heatproof baking dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and bubbly on top, broiling if necessary.  Serve hot with crackers, baguette slices, or crostini.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment