Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday Food for Thought: Real Simple's 30 Superfoods

Last week while I was killing some time at the airport on my way home from a business trip, the cover of the February issue of Real Simple caught my eye- bright and fresh after a few damp and gray days in Seattle.  The accompanying article, The 30 Healthiest Foods, also had me curious what their list would be, and how much of it I ate on a regular basis. 



I already had plenty of reading material for the flight, but checked out the list over the weekend.  I was really surprised to see that with the exception of almonds, edamame, and sardines, this reads like my grocery list:
  1. almonds
  2. avocados
  3. barley
  4. black beans
  5. blueberries
  6. broccoli
  7. bulgur
  8. chard
  9. chicken breasts
  10. edamame
  11. eggs
  12. EVOO
  13. kale
  14. kidney beans
  15. kiwi
  16. lentils
  17. mushrooms
  18. oatmeal (old-fashioned or steel cut)
  19. oranges
  20. peanut and almond butters
  21. pumpkin
  22. quinoa
  23. sardines
  24. skim milk
  25. spinach
  26. sweet potatoes
  27. walnuts
  28. whole-grain pasta
  29. wild salmon
  30. yogurt
It just goes to show that healthy can be delicious as well! 

How many of these do you eat on a regular basis?  Anything else you think should have been on the list?

No comments:

Post a Comment