Thursday, December 1, 2011

Rosemary Candied Cashews

Does anyone else remember Good Things Catered?  Sadly (for me and its other followers), its author Katie took it down due to a move and a new job.  It's really too bad, the recipes were always just right, had a ton of great tips, and really demonstrated that good food didn't have to be hard. 


One of my favorite simple recipes was for rosemary candied nuts; luckily for me this was also published on Recipes Tap, so all is not lost.  I usually add a little cayenne for some heat, and I really think the salty-sweet combo is impossible to resist.  I had these out as part of the pre-Thanksgiving dinner snack table and there wasn't much left when we sat down for dinner!

Rosemary Candied Cashews
Adapted just a little from Good Things Catered

What's in them:

4 Tbsp butter
1/4 c dark brown sugar, packed
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, minced

Cayenne pepper to taste, I like about a 1/2 tsp here
2 c whole cashews (or nuts of choice)
coarse grain salt


How to make them:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet- I line mine with non-stick foil.

In medium saucepan over medium heat, heat butter, sugar, rosemary and cayenne, stirring until fully combined.  Add nuts and cook until the nuts covered in sugar mixture and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Spread nut mixture onto prepared baking sheet and bake until sugar has slightly hardened (will be bubbly), about 15 minutes.


Remove pan from oven and toss with large pinch of coarse salt.  Cool completely, tossing periodically to keep the nuts from sticking together.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm I love the combination of rosemary with the sugar and cayenne. This is similar to the spiced nuts my mom made every Thanksgiving when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete