Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday Food for Thought: Are Farmers' Markets More Expensive?

An recent article in The Atlantic called The Farmers' Market Myth contended that the general opinion that produce and other goods at the farmers' market were more expensive than their grocery store counterparts was in fact just that: a myth.  Over the last couple of months, I've been paying a little more attention to prices, and was a little surprised to find that this was true.  I'd always assumed that what little extra I might pay at the market was worth it for a fresher, better tasting product.  For me, the real luxury seems to be the time to go to both the farmers' market for produce, meat and other fresh items, and the grocery store for the rest of my list.


What's your experience?  Do you save or spend more at your farmers' market?

1 comment:

  1. It completely depends upon the product at my farmers market. I also shop a small mom and pop grocery store that carries grass fed meats and fresh produce from local farmers as well. For bacon, I find that the mom and pop store is much cheaper (by over $2 a pound) but other items like herbs the farmers market is much cheaper ($1 for a bouquet that will last me a year vs $3.15 for a small bouquet)

    ReplyDelete